WHAT KIND OF GOSPEL DID THE APOSTLES PREACH?
A) The world in which we live is a Unity.
1) Our word “universe” means- One whole.
2) It is a vast orderly system balanced in each of its parts.
3) Each one of its individual system contributes to the integrity of the whole. One sun, moon, starry host, etc… provides a marvelous equipoise of condition necessary to sustain life on earth.
4) Destroy one system and you destroy life, i.e. without water, light, air, etc… the planet will not survive.
Parallelism of the universe with the gospel
A) The gospel is one whole, sufficient, balanced and orderly.
B) The Universalist will treat the gospel anyhow.
1) One will have all men saved without any condition.
2) Others admit into the church infants who are not capable of professing the faith and subjecting them to the gospel.
3) Others reject baptism.
4) Others pretend to follow Moses.
5) Others go to God through Mohammed.
6) Others don’t partake the Lord supper, etc…
C) Galatians 1:6-12 “I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel…”
1) The Holy Spirit foresaw the error that would be taught and provided warnings for it.
2) Today people think that it makes no difference whatever one achieves as long as he thinks it right (Relativism).
3) This text refutes this notion. Error must not be substituted for the truth. This is very important when it comes to matters pertaining to salvation.
The characteristics of the gospel
A) Original gospel, i.e. New Testament gospel.
1) Gospel which is original outside of the New Testament (N.T.) is false.
2) Many creeds out there.
a) If a creed contains more than the N.T., it contains too much, if less, also it is too little.
b) If it is the same as the N.T., then why have it.
3) No other divine revelation apart from what we have in the N.T.
B) Pure gospel- Galatians 1:7: “Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.”
1) It cannot serve but rather it destroys.
2) Food eliminates hunger; water quenches thirst. But when salt is added to it, it can no longer serve its basic purpose.
3) We must be careful not to destroy the power of the gospel to save by mixing it man’s doctrine, e.g. Romans 1:16.
C) Adequacy in the gospel- Galatians 1:8: “But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.”
1) Even the angels from Heaven could not improve on what has been presented.
2) A horrible curse (anathema) is proclaimed.
3) Anyone who perverts the gospel is absolutely, hopelessly and irrevocably cut away from CHRIST. (Revelations 22:18a)
a) How about the one who follow him?
D) The gospel is a balanced whole.
1) With no unnecessary part, the world of Jesus gives value and authority to each precept and promise.
2) Dispense of one of his commands or refute to admit one of its facts and the gospel is no longer the gospel of CHRIST. (James 2:10)
3) Romans 1:1 – The gospel that Paul preached is the gospel of God.
4) Acts 9:20, Paul preached in synagogues that Christ is the son of God.
E) The gospel that belittles His divinity is not the gospel that Paul had preached.
1) Ephesians 1:22-23 – The gospel Paul preached exalts the CHURCH.
2) Christ as the head cannot be separated from the body which is the CHURCH.
3) Those who belittle the church and suggest that denominationalism is a part of the body (the CHURCH) are not proclaiming the gospel that Paul preached.
4) Ephesians 4:4-6 – The seven (7) “ones”. Denominationalism is a proponent to division and an opponent to the Lord’s body, the church.
The final observation about the kind of gospel preached by the Apostles.
A) Gospel of salvation: Many methods of salvation have been designed by men.
1) Believe only.
2) Go to mass at least once a year.
3) Repent a prayer (sinners).
B) But what is said in:
1) Mark 16:16 – Believe and be baptised.
2) Acts 2:28 – Repent and be baptised for the remission of sins.
3) Matthew 28:19-20 – Baptise and observe all the commandments.
4) Luke 24:47 – Repentance and remission of sin.
5) Romans 10:9 – Confess into salvation, believe unto righteousness.
C) Put these passages together and the Master plan of salvation is drawn.
4) Baptism and then start to observe the commandments.
The N.T. gospel is one whole, original (not counterfeit), sufficient, balanced, pure, reliable, and perfect gospel. Let’s study it in an attempt to guide ourselves against the unscrupulous people who propagate false doctrine. 2 Timothy 2:15 encourages us to study the word (the bible) to acquire approval unto God. On the final day of judgement, nothing else will matter if we can stand before God approved.
— Isaac Boachie